BloggerAds廣告

顯示具有 道地英語 標籤的文章。 顯示所有文章
顯示具有 道地英語 標籤的文章。 顯示所有文章

2011年7月21日 星期四

(14) Cheating 騙人

1. fall for the line 受騙
2. pull the wool over one’s eyes 騙人
3. make myself scarce 躲起來

A: This is amazing…I can’t believe Bob fell for that line. It’s one of the oldest in the books.
真令人吃驚…真不敢相信Bob會上當。那是老掉牙的手法了。
B: You know, it’s not too difficult to pull the wool over his eyes, he’s kind of slow.
你知道嗎,要騙Bob並不難。他本來就有點阿達阿達的。
A: Yeah, well…you’d better hope he doesn't find out what a fool you’ve made of him. He may be slow, but he is as big as a truck.
是啊,不過…你最好別讓他發現你在愚弄他。他雖然遲鈍,但壯得跟卡車一樣呢!
B: You’re right. I’ll make myself scarce when he’s around.
你說的對,他來的時候我得迴避一下。

2011年7月20日 星期三

(13) Sticky Situation 窘境

1. sticky situation 窘境
2. wind up 結果
3. look on the bright side 想開一點

A: You were really nervous about your blind date last night. How did it go?
你對昨晚的初次約會很緊張,進行的如何?
B: Not very well, half way through our expensive meal I forgot my date's name.
不太好,吃昂貴的大餐到一半時,我竟然忘了她的名字。
A: Oh no! How did you get out of that sticky situation?
噢,真糟糕!你怎麼擺脫這窘境?
B: Well, I took a shot and wound up sitting at the table all alone.
唉,我猜了一猜,結果就只剩我自己一個人吃了。
A: Look on the bright side. Since your date left, you had all of that expensive food for yourself.
想開一點。既然她先走了,你自己就獨享了那頓大餐。

2011年4月24日 星期日

(12) Taking A Hint 識相

1. three’s a crowd 三人不便
2. hit the dance floor 跳個舞
3. take a hint 聽懂暗示

A: Hi there, sweet stuff! I thought I’d break the ice and come over to introduce myself.
嗨,親愛的! 我想我該做個開場白來自我介紹。
B: Well, that's very thoughtful of you… but I’m here with someone and as you know three's a crowd.
嗯,是滿好的啊,可是我已經和朋友有約了。你也知道,三個人不太方便。
A: That may be, but your friend doesn’t seem to be here now. So why don’t you and I hit the dance floor and…
可能吧,但你的朋友好像不在這裡。我們何不跳個舞…
B: Hey buddy! Can’t you take a hint… I’m not really interested!
嘿,老兄,你是聽不懂是不是……我真的沒興趣。

2011年4月7日 星期四

(11) U.S. Postal Service 美國郵政

1. settle down 定居
2. lose touch 失去聯繫
3. fate 命運


A: Hey, good news! I’m moving to the U.S. to settle down。
嘿,好消息!我快要搬到美國去定居了。
B: That's great! When you get there, don’t forget to write. I’d hate to lose touch.
那太好了!等你到了那兒,別忘了寫信給我。我最討厭失去聯繫。
A: We’ve been friends for a long time. Of course I’ll write. But you know, as soon as I drop the letters into the mailbox, their fate is out of my hands.
都已經老朋友了,我當然會寫信給你囉!但你知道,當信丟入郵筒後,就不是我能掌握的了。
B: That’s right… and if the U.S. Postal Service delivers letters anything like Clinton delivers his health care package, I could be waiting for those letters for a long time.
對啊。如果美國的郵局送信的速度都像柯林頓實行的健保案一樣,那就有得等了。

2011年2月28日 星期一

(10) Being Grounded 被禁足

1. long face 板著臉
2. count on 依靠,指望
3. back someone up 支持

A: You don’t look very happy. Why the long face?
你看起來很不高興。為什麼板著臉?
B: I was really counting on you to back me up in that argument I was having with Dad.
我和老爸爭執時,我還一直指望你會替我說話。
A: Well, I don’t think it’s that big a deal. It’s not like you’re grounded or anything.
唉呦,沒什麼大不了嘛!你又沒有被禁足。
B: Yeah, but now since we can’t use the car, we can’t go to the movies like we planned.
是啊,但現在既然我們沒有車開,也就不能照原訂計畫去看電影了。

2011年2月23日 星期三

(9) Breaking The Ice 開場白

1. make a move 採取行動
2. receptive 接納的
3. flirt 搭訕
4. break the ice 開場白

A: Wow! Look at that guy over there. What a hunk!
哇澳!看看那傢伙。真是帥呆了!
B: Why don’t you make a move on him? I’m sure he’ll be receptive.
妳何不採取行動呢?我肯定他會接納你的。
A: I’m not comfortable with flirting. What if he rejects me?
我不太會搭訕。如果他拒絕我怎麼辦?
B: Don’t worry! Let’s go talk to him. I’ll help you break the ice.
放心啦!我們一起過跟他聊聊。我會幫你開場白。

2011年2月10日 星期四

(8) String Along 吊胃口

1. stand with someone 受到某人的評價
2. back off 退讓
3. take advantage of 利用

A: I really am infatuated with Ruth, but I don’t know where I stand with her.
我真的好迷戀Ruth,但是我不知道我自己在她心中的地位為何。
B: Did she tell you that she is interested?
她跟你說過她喜歡你嗎?
A: Yeah, but I think she may be stringing me along.
有啊,可是我覺得她只是在吊我胃口罷了。
B: I think you’d better back off before she takes advantage of you!
我想你最好在她還沒利用你之前先退讓一下。

2011年1月25日 星期二

(7) Buying A Scooter 買台摩托車

1. die to have  想死了
2. pry             撬開
3. lemon         爛貨
4. I can relate 我可以了解

A: I would die to have a scooter right now. I hate waiting for the bus. They’re so crowded.
我想要一部摩托車想瘋了。我好討厭等公車,公車實在太擠了。
B: Why don’t you pry open your wallet and spend some of the cash you’ve stashed away.
你為何不撬開皮夾拿點存來的錢去買一台呢?
A: It’s not that I’m cheap. I’m scared of buying a lemon!
不是我小氣,我只是怕買到一個爛貨。
B: I can relate. I just bought a lemon myself a few weeks ago.
我可以了解。幾個禮拜前我自己才買了一台爛車呢!

2011年1月24日 星期一

(6) Back to School 回到學校

1. a drag 沒意思的事
2. have one’s nose to the grindstone 孜孜不倦
3. hard-nosed 一絲不苟的
4. horse around 閒混

A: I can not believe school starts again so soon.
我真不敢相信這麼快又要開學了。
B: Yeah! I know, what a drag!
是啊!我知道,真無聊!
A: It feels like just yesterday, I had my nose to the grindstone cramming for finals.
感覺好像才昨天似的,我還在拼命的準備期末考呢!
B: My teachers this year are really hard-nosed, too. I don’t think I’ll have any fun.
我今年的老師也很嚴格。我想今年沒得玩了!
A: Yeah, no time for horsing around.
沒錯,沒時間好閒混了。

2011年1月13日 星期四

(5) Mobile Phones 行動電話

1. mobile phones 大哥大
2. on the road 在路上
3. status symbol 地位的象徵
4. I couldn’t agree more. 我再同意不過了

A: I can’t believe how many people carry mobile phones. I wonder if they really need them.
    我真不敢相信那麼多人帶大哥大。我懷疑他們是否真的那麼需要。
B: I’m going to get one myself. I’m on the road a lot, and it would really be convenient.
    我也要買一個。我時常跑來跑去,有大哥大一定會方便多了。
A: Perhaps you really do need one, but I think for most people, they’re just status symbols.
    也許你真的需要一個,但我想對大多數人來說,大哥大只是地位的象徵罷了。
B: I couldn’t agree more.
    我再同意不過了。

2011年1月3日 星期一

(4) A Lost Wallet 遺失的皮夾

1. I.D.         身分證
2. reward    獎金

A: Hey, look! Somebody lost his wallet.
    嘿!有人掉了錢包。
B: Is there anything inside?
    有東西在裡面嗎?
A: There must be 20,000 dollars here and no I.D. What do you think we should do about it?
    應該有兩萬元在裡面,但沒有身分證。你覺得該怎麼處理呢?
B: We really don’t have any choice. We’ve got to take it to the nearest police station. Once the owner realizes he’s lost it, he’ll surely go there.
    沒別的選擇。我們應該把它送去最近的警察局。如果失主發現了掉錢包,一定會去那兒的。
A: Maybe we’ll get a reward!
    或許我們還會拿到獎金喔!

2010年12月28日 星期二

(3) Buying Life Insurance 買保險

1. preoccupied 心不在焉
2. that depends 看情形
3. might as well 乾脆

A: You seem preoccupied. What’s on your mind?
    你看起來心不在焉。在想什麼啊?
B: I’m thinking about buying life insurance, but it’s so expensive. Do you think it’s worth it?
    我想投保,但太貴了。你認為那值得嗎?
A: That depends. If you have children, I think you should buy it.
    看情形。如果你有小孩的話,我認為你應該買。
B: I suppose you are right. I might as well give that agent a call tonight.
    你說得沒錯。我乾脆今晚就打電話給那個壽險顧問好了。

2010年12月27日 星期一

(2) New Neighbors 新鄰居

1. pull up 停下
2. foreigner 外國人
3. throw a welcome party 開個歡迎派對

A: A big truck just pulled up next door. It looks the new neighbors are moving in.
    一輛大卡車剛停在隔壁。好像新鄰居搬進來了。
B: Do you have any idea where they're from?
    你知道他們是從哪裡來的嗎?
A: Someone told me they’re foreigners. It should be interesting to meet them.
    有人跟我說他們是外國人。認識他們一定很好玩。
B: Why don’t we throw them a welcoming party?
    我們何不開個派對來歡迎呢?

2010年12月24日 星期五

(1) Girlfriend 女朋友

1. whining and moaning 唉聲嘆氣
2. demeaning 瞧不起人的
3. find faults with 挑剔

A: So, after nine months of whining and moaning you’ve finally found yourself a girlfriend. How are you getting along?
    唉聲嘆氣過了九個月,你終於找到女朋友了。相處的還好嗎?
B: Well, it’s not all I had hoped it would be. She’s very demeaning and seems to find faults with nearly everything I do.
    嗯,沒想像的好。她很瞧不起人的,而且好像對我做的每件事都很挑剔。
A: Beggars can’t be choosers.
    人是你追來的,就不能太挑啊。
B: True, but I was begging for a girlfriend, not a drill sergeant.
    是沒錯,但是我要找的是女朋友,又不是軍訓教官。